Monday, February 2, 2009

A Day in the Life

Being a communications major, I am no stranger to the addiction of media. I myself am no exception either. Indulging in media throughout my daily routine is normal of me and most people I know.
My day starts off with waking up to my alarm, which is my cell phone with a personalized ring tone, Justin Timberlake of course, but that’s a whole other subject. Then I check my phone for missed calls, texts, or events that I planned in my phone. Usually, I hear my phone ringing so I don’t miss many calls and I know this but I still check it anyways, out of habit of course.
Once I realize I check my phone habitually even if I know it hasn’t rang, I start to think how my life would be without this one connection to the world. The cell phone—correction, MY cell phone—only offers me two way communication with people I want to talk to. It doesn’t necessarily give me vital information about the world, or anything of substance. It simply connects me to the people I love, which in a sense is very important. The phone itself is nothing but what it connects me to is very important, so with a day without it would be very odd just because I’m so used to having it by my side. I’m definitely addicted to my cell phone, which I think most young people my age would say.
Another daily routine of mine is to go online. I check my email first and catch up on the news sent to me from NY Times and delete the ridiculous emails my Mom sends me. Then I normally check my Facebook, yes I’m addicted to this as well, to check up on my sister who lives in Tokyo. The internet is how I keep in touch with her mostly so without that I would be completely out of touch with her.
Then, I stop to think that I use both the phone and internet to mainly connect me with people I care about. I think this says about me that I want to stay in the lives of my family and friends across the world. Don’t get me wrong, I’m leaving out a big chunk of my media using, but mainly I use media for that purpose. I do have many guilty pleasures of media, but my first instinct of its use is to connect with family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment