Sunday, April 19, 2009

Identifying with Music

Music fits into most aspects of my life and each has its own soundtrack. I can identify music to certain moments, events, and time periods in my life. The music I choose to listen to on a certain day depends on my mood, location, and who I am with. When I’m at the beach with friends on a hot summer day sunbathing in a bikini, I would prefer mellow, easy-listening music like folk, reggae, classic rock or something of the kind. Listening to music of this kind reminds me of those times and how good they felt. Or like when I was in Paris during the rainy winter season bundled up head to toe, I was listening to an array of fast- paced depressing, underground French music-mainly house music for the too-cool Parisians dressed in label-less clothing to make some sort of statement. Then at times I find myself singing along to the top 40 charts, wearing a dress from the Gap and wondering if I’m having an identity crisis. Although listen to most kinds of music (minus heavy/death metal, country and show tunes) the one I identify with the most is what I have in common with friends. Going to concerts with friends is one of my favorite things to do. Citizen Cope, The Starting Line, 311, Damien Marley, Marley Fest Warped Tour, the Suwannee River Music Fest, and Justin Timberlake are among my most memorable shows. I’d like to think that a nice variety of music and people who like them too. With that said, I’d also like to think that my open-mindedness in music reflects in my personality and lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment